Exercise Your Jesus-Given Authority Over Satan
November 27, 2022
Exercise Your Jesus-Given Authority Over Satan (Part 5)
Authority over Occult Participation
In this series, my heart is to prepare you to win the spiritual battles ahead of you.
There is a world of darkness that is rising up everywhere and I want you to be ready for it!
There really is a clash of kingdoms today.
In the dark kingdom, there is Satan himself, fallen angels that fell with him from heaven, and then there are demon spirits that seek to inhabit human beings mentally, emotionally, physically, and spiritually.
And of course in the Kingdom of God, the Kingdom of light, there is God our Father, Jesus His Son, the Holy Spirit, the Angels of God, and us believers.
Today we are going to look at some of the ways people yield to the demonic realm and then show how to be free from it.
A quick review:
Our vantage point for talking about this is a place of spiritual authority!
Satan was expelled from heaven due to sin – pride and slander…he fell to earth…
1. Satan has an authority right now on earth that was given to him by Adam when he chose to sin.
2. Jesus went to the cross as the representative man!
3. Jesus’ resurrection gives you a delegated authority over Satan.
4. Build up your faith in the authority Jesus has given to you.
You have authority over demon spirits, not human personalities.
Last week: Authority over Immoral Demonic Forces.
Satan hides in the western world:
Two words come to mind when I think of Satan and how he works.
Subterfuge and Incognito
A deception by artifice or stratagem to conceal, escape, avoid, or evade.
He also works through being Incognito:
With one’s identity concealed; without recognition.
Here is America today:
Jesus said something that I believe applies to America today:
Matthew 12:43-45 (NKJV)
When an unclean spirit goes out of a man, he goes through dry places, seeking rest, and finds none. 44 Then he says, ‘I will return to my house from which I came.’ And when he comes, he finds it empty, swept, and put in order. 45 Then he goes and takes with him seven other spirits more wicked than himself, and they enter and dwell there; and the last state of that man is worse than the first. So shall it also be with this wicked generation.”
We now have a generation that is turning away from its biblical roots that made it prosperous, and is turning to darkness and mysticism in a large way.
We have in a big way extinguished our gospel light, and the demonic world is taking territory right now in America.
Two Areas to watch out for:
1. Deviant sexual behavior. (Baal)
2. Participation in any form of occult practices.
Participation in any form of occult practices:
Dealing with the demonic was a regular part of Jesus’ ministry:
Matthew 8:16 (NKJV)
When evening had come, they brought to Him many who were demon-possessed. And He cast out the spirits with a word, and healed all who were sick,
Matthew 10:7-8 (NKJV)
And as you go, preach, saying, The kingdom of heaven is at hand.’ 8 Heal the sick, cleanse the lepers, raise the dead, cast out demons. Freely you have received, freely give.
Mark 1:32-34 (NKJV)
At evening, when the sun had set, they brought to Him all who were sick and those who were demon-possessed. 33 And the whole city was gathered together at the door. 34 Then He healed many who were sick with various diseases, and cast out many demons; and He did not allow the demons to speak, because they knew Him.
Mark 3:13-15 (NKJV)
And He went up on the mountain and called to Him those He Himself wanted. And they came to Him. 14 Then He appointed twelve, that they might be with Him and that He might send them out to preach, 15 and to have power to heal sicknesses and to cast out demons:
Luke 8:1-2 (NKJV)
Now it came to pass, afterward, that He went through every city and village, preaching and bringing the glad tidings of the kingdom of God. And the twelve were with Him, 2 and certain women who had been healed of evil spirits and infirmities—Mary called Magdalene, out of whom had come seven demons,
Mark 16:16-18 (NKJV)
He who believes and is baptized will be saved; but he who does not believe will be condemned. 17 And these signs will follow those who believe: In My name they will cast out demons; they will speak with new tongues; 18 they will take up serpents; and if they drink anything deadly, it will by no means hurt them; they will lay hands on the sick, and they will recover.”
Acts 8:5-8 (NKJV)
Then Philip went down to the city of Samaria and preached Christ to them. 6 And the multitudes with one accord heeded the things spoken by Philip, hearing and seeing the miracles which he did. 7 For unclean spirits, crying with a loud voice, came out of many who were possessed; and many who were paralyzed and lame were healed. 8 And there was great joy in that city.
Acts 16:16-18 (NKJV)
Now it happened, as we went to prayer, that a certain slave girl possessed with a spirit of divination met us, who brought her masters much profit by fortune-telling. 17 This girl followed Paul and us, and cried out, saying, “These men are the servants of the Most High God, who proclaim to us the way of salvation.” 18 And this she did for many days. But Paul, greatly annoyed, turned and said to the spirit, “I command you in the name of Jesus Christ to come out of her.” And he came out that very hour.
Acts 19:11-20 (NKJV)
Now God worked unusual miracles by the hands of Paul, 12 so that even handkerchiefs or aprons were brought from his body to the sick, and the diseases left them and the evil spirits went out of them.
There was a revival in Ephesus…
Acts 19:18-20 (NLT)
Many who became believers confessed their sinful practices. 19 A number of them who had been practicing sorcery brought their incantation books and burned them at a public bonfire. The value of the books was several million dollars. 20 So the message about the Lord spread widely and had a powerful effect.
Deuteronomy 18:9-14 (NLT)
When you enter the land the LORD your God is giving you, be very careful not to imitate the detestable customs of the nations living there. 10 For example, never sacrifice your son or daughter as a burnt offering. And do not let your people practice fortune-telling, or use sorcery, or interpret omens, or engage in witchcraft, 11 or cast spells, or function as mediums or psychics, or call forth the spirits of the dead. 12 Anyone who does these things is detestable to the LORD. It is because the other nations have done these detestable things that the LORD your God will drive them out ahead of you. 13 But you must be blameless before the LORD your God. 14 The nations you are about to displace consult sorcerers and fortune-tellers, but the LORD your God forbids you to do such things.”
It is as though you become a marked person recognized by demon power when you choose to participate in any occult practices.
You open the door to the demonic in your life by participating in any form of occult influences:
Occult influences are found in:
- Horoscope reading.
- Palm reading.
- Psychic readings.
- The use of Crystals.
- Yoga type meditation.
- Necromancy – contacting the dead.
- False doctrine.
- Reading about or participating in witchcraft. (Harry Potter – kids).
- Reading books or articles or watching videos that deal with magic, spells, incantations.
- Witchcraft symbology. The use of crystals, dreamcatchers, spirit lamps, images or icons of false gods, etc.
- Hallucinogenic drugs and alcohol:
Galatians 5:19-20 (KJV)
Now the works of the flesh are manifest, which are these; Adultery, fornication, uncleanness, lasciviousness, 20 Idolatry, witchcraft, hatred, variance, emulations, wrath, strife, seditions, heresies,
pharmakeia; medication (“pharmacy”), magic (literally or figuratively): — sorcery, witchcraft.
the use or the administering of drugs, poisoning, sorcery, magical arts, often found in connection with idolatry and fostered by it.
- Watching paranormal movies.
- Children’s toys – Be careful! Many have occult symbolism in them. (See the end of my notes)
- Participating in deviant sexual activity – pedophilia, homosexuality, lesbianism, bestiality, pornography.
- Possessing emblems of pagan worship. They may seem like innocuous things, but demons love to gather where emblems of their power are kept.
There was a guy I ministered to who had a set of Buddhist temple bells in his apartment.
1 Corinthians 10:20-21 (NKJV)
Rather, that the things which the Gentiles sacrifice they sacrifice to demons and not to God, and I do not want you to have fellowship with demons. 21 You cannot drink the cup of the Lord and the cup of demons; you cannot partake of the Lord’s table and of the table of demons.
In some Native American and First Nations cultures, a dreamcatcher (Ojibwe: asabikeshiinh, the inanimate form of the word for ‘spider’) is a handmade willow hoop, on which
is woven a net or web. It may also be decorated with sacred items such as certain feathers or beads. Traditionally, dreamcatchers are hung over a cradle or bed as protection. It originates in Anishinaabe culture as “the spider web charm” – asubakacin ‘net-like’ (White Earth Nation); bwaajige ngwaagan ‘dream snare’ (Curve Lake First Nation) – a hoop with woven string or sinew meant to replicate a spider’s web, used as a protective charm for infants.
Dream catchers were adopted in the Pan-Indian Movement of the 1960s and 1970s and gained popularity as widely marketed “Native crafts items” in the 1980s.
My many missions trips to India and Africa.
A “bone doctor” in a city where I started a church.
My house renovation project.
Drugs and alcohol open the door to the demonic realm.
Example: 1994 – Lady with a demonic spirit that manifested in my office.
Be careful with your thoughts:
Satan loves to invade our thought life. Keep your mind away from anything negative.
2 Corinthians 10:3-6 (MEV)
For though we walk in the flesh, we do not war according to the flesh. 4 For the weapons of our warfare are not carnal, but mighty through God to the pulling down of strongholds, 5 casting down imaginations and every high thing that exalts itself against the knowledge of God, bringing every thought into captivity to the obedience of Christ, 6 and being ready to punish all disobedience when your obedience is complete.
(CWSB Dictionary) to fortify, to hold fast. A stronghold, fortification, fortress Used metaphorically of any strong points or arguments in which one trusts .
(CWSB Dictionary) logismós; to reckon. A reckoning, calculation, consideration, reflection. In the Class. Gr. writers, used of the consideration and reflection preceding and determining conduct, to deliberate.
The demonic can also enforce the works of the flesh:
Galatians 5:19-21 (NKJV)
Now the works of the flesh are evident, which are: adultery, fornication, uncleanness, lewdness, 20 idolatry, sorcery, hatred, contentions, jealousies, outbursts of wrath, selfish ambitions, dissensions, heresies, 21 envy, murders, drunkenness, revelries, and the like; of which I tell you beforehand, just as I also told you in time past, that those who practice such things will not inherit the kingdom of God.
The Works of the Flesh
(Fire Bible Study Notes)
(1) “Sexual immorality” (Gk porneia) includes intercourse and other forms of sexual contact outside of a marriage relationship. It includes such things as pornography where sexual pleasures are fed through pictures or sexually suggestive forms of entertainment, films or writings (cf. Ex 20:14; Mt 5:31-32; 19:9; Ac 15:20, 29; 21:25; 1Co 5:1)
(2) “Impurity” (Gk akatharsia) also refers to sexual sins, evil behaviors and ungodly motives, traits and habits. It includes secret thoughts and desires, which is where impurity begins and affects us morally and spiritually (Eph 5:3; Col 3:5).
(3) “Debauchery” (Gk aselgeia) refers to shameful and abnormal behavior and a lack of self-control. It involves selfishly following one’s passions and desires to the point of having no shame or thought for public decency (2Co 12:21).
(4) “Idolatry” (Gk eidölolatria) means worshiping spirits, false gods, persons, images or anything else instead of the one true God. Idolatry is also an issue whenever someone or something is loved, trusted or given importance over God. Allowing anyone or anything to have equal or greater influence or authority than God and his Word is the most subtle form of idolatry.
(5) “Witchcraft” (Gk pharmakeia) includes sorcery, spiritism (i.e., attempting to contact the dead), black magic (i.e., calling on the devil or evil spirits, attempting magic for evil purposes), worship of demons and use of drugs to produce “spiritual” experiences (Ex 7:11, 22; 8:18; Rev 9:21; 18:23).
(6) “Hatred” (Gk echthra) involves all forms of consuming, hostile thoughts, motives and actions, including extreme dislike, anger or desire to cause conflict.
(7) “Discord” (Gk eris) involves quarreling, causing undue tension and disunity and struggling for superiority over others (Ro 1:29; 1Co 1:11; 3:3)
(8) “Jealousy” (Gk zëlos) refers to resentfulness or envy of another person’s situation or success (Ro 13:13; 1Co 3:3).
(9) “Fits of rage” (Gk thumos) are explosive outbursts of anger that can result in violent words or actions (Col 3:8).
(10) “Selfish ambition” (Gk eritheia) involves pursuing personal power or success without considering the desires of God or the impact it will have on others (2 Cor 12:20; Phil 1:16-17);
(11) “Dissensions” (Gk dichostasia) refer to causing divisions or introducing teachings not supported by God’s Word (Ro 16:17).
(12) “Factions” (Gk hairesis) are divisions within a church congregation or group of Christians that develop into selfish groups or cliques (i.e., exclusive groups), destroying the unity of the church (1Co 11:19).
(13) “Envy” (Gk phthonos) is a jealous and resentful dislike of another person who has something that one desires. It can also simply imply the jealous desire to have something that belongs to someone else.
(14) “Drunkenness” (Gk methë) involves impaired mental or physical control as a result of consuming alcoholic and intoxicating drinks.
(15) “Orgies” (Gk kömos) refer to group activities that usually involve a number of individuals who assemble for sexual exchange or involvement as a part of pagan festivals or pagan religious practices.
Paul’s final comment on the acts of the sinful nature is firm and forceful: anyone who claims to be a believer and participates in these things is confessing a lie. Those who engage in these types of activities shut themselves off from God and do not have any part in God’s kingdom. That is to say, they will not experience an eternal relationship with God.
As a Christian, Jesus has given you authority over Satan and his works.
But Satan does not care about your authority if you do not exercise it, or if you cancel it by participating in the current sexual sins of our culture, or participate in any form of occultism.
These things must be repented of and cleansed by the blood of Jesus.
1. Have you taken time to build your faith in God’s Word about your authority in Christ?
2. Have you repented of and renounced your participation in any and all forms of sexual sin?
3. Have you repented of and renounced any and all forms of occult practices?
4. Have you fully surrendered your will and your thoughts to Jesus?
Prayer to renounce occult involvement:
Father, in Jesus’ Name, I ask You to forgive me for any and all participation I have had with anything dealing with the occult. I set myself against any thought or desire that comes from any previous occult participation. I realize that this is a sin against You, Heavenly Father, and I now repent from all involvement in them. Satan, I command you to take your hand off of my life in Jesus’ Name. I now shut any spiritual door that I have opened to the demonic realm and set myself against it. Father, I plead the blood of Jesus over my mind, my emotions, my will, and my body. I choose today to keep myself away from any pagan emblems, rituals, or items in the Name of Jesus. I promise to rid my home of any relics from the demonic world. Father, thank You for the angels of God that surround me and keep me safe with You. Father thank You for Your love, Your forgiveness, Your mercy, and for cleansing me from sin. Beginning today, I am ALL IN WITH YOU AND YOUR KINGDOM, IN JESUS’ NAME!
Here’s a small list of what to look out for when buying toys:
Anything that uses or resembles any of the symbols in the attachment below
Anything relating to mysticism, magic, sorcery, or wizardry
Anything related to potions or crystals
Games known to have demonic origins and all made by the same company:
Dungeons and Dragons
Magic The Gathering
I would personally stay away from plush toys or stuffed animals that move or speak. Some, like Hatchimals or even Furbys, have been known to “curse” or utter sexually suggestive sounds.