Exercise Your Jesus-Given Authority Over Satan (Part 2): Jesus Restored Our Authority!
November 6, 2022
Exercise Your Jesus-Given Authority Over Satan
We are living in a day of tremendous spiritual challenge and warfare.
We should go into our future knowing that Jesus Christ has equipped us for this season of time before His return, and that we have already won the future battles we face!
Satan is working tirelessly behind the scenes today in every area of life seeking to hinder God’s Kingdom and bring about a final rebellion against God culminating in the reign of the antiChrist.
The great news is that if we choose to bow down at the feet of Jesus, He will empower us with spiritual authority over Satan.
Last week we looked at Satan’s origin from Ezekiel 28 and Isaiah 14 and and talked about:
1. He is a fallen angel that was given abilities by God. He was the anointed cherub. He loves the beautiful and sensual.
2. He loves music and seeks to use it to accomplish his goals.
3. He loves authority – He was in some way in charge of the protection of God’s throne. He was kicked out of heaven to the earth because of pride and gossip and now acts like a mafia chief. Nobody knows him or acknowledges him. He works behind the scenes in subterfuge to reach his goals.
4. He loves to divide and conquer. He creates division and strife wherever possible.
5. He loves to use a person’s pride to his advantage. His pride got him kicked out of heaven.
6. He oversees a hierarchy of fallen angels and demonic forces that work against God and His Kingdom in every level of life.
7. He is a deceiver and manipulates the truth.
8. Right now he is actively involved in creating an environment of deception in order to force a one world government that unites the nation politically, economically, and spiritually. His boldest move will be the person of AntiChrist who seeks global unity and autonomy over every human on earth.
9. Our political system has been corrupted by him. Our financial system has been corrupted by him. Our legal system has been corrupted by him. Our social structure has been corrupted by him. Church life is corrupted by him when believers compromise with sin and with their culture and water down the Word of God.
10. We as the church have been given authority over him, but we must cleanse ourselves to walk in the authority God has given us!
1. Satan has an authority right now on earth that was given to him by Adam when he chose to sin.
Luke 10:18 (MEV)
He said to them, “I saw Satan as lightning fall from heaven.
Luke 4:5-7 (NKJV)
Then the devil, taking Him up on a high mountain, showed Him all the kingdoms of the world in a moment of time. 6 And the devil said to Him, “All this authority I will give You, and their glory; for this has been delivered to me, and I give it to whomever I wish. 7 Therefore, if You will worship before me, all will be Yours.”
Hebrews 2:6-8 (Contemporary English Version)
Somewhere in the Scriptures someone says to God, “What makes you care about us humans? Why are you concerned for weaklings such as we? 7 You made us lower than the angels for a while. Yet you have crowned us with glory and honor. 8 And you have put everything under our power!” God has put everything under our power and has not left anything out of our power. But we still don’t see it all under our power.
And that is because Adam gave our authority away when he sinned. He committed treason against God, and gave what God gave humanity over to Satan. Satan was given Adam’s authority over the earth.
It seems to be a time limited dominion, like a lease of dominion.
Matthew 8:29 (MEV)
Suddenly they cried out, saying, “What have we to do with You, Jesus, Son of God? Have You come here to torment us before the time?”
1 John 5:19 (NLT)
We know that we are children of God and that the world around us is under the control of the evil one.
Ephesians 2:2 (NLT)
You used to live in sin, just like the rest of the world, obeying the devil—the commander of the powers in the unseen world. He is the spirit at work in the hearts of those who refuse to obey God.
Ephesians 6:12 (MEV)
For our fight is not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, and against spiritual forces of evil in the heavenly places.
Revelation 12:12 (NLT)
Therefore, rejoice, O heavens! And you who live in the heavens, rejoice! But terror will come on the earth and the sea, for the devil has come down to you in great anger, knowing that he has little time.”
Satan’s lease of dominion on the earth will end at the Second Coming of Christ!
Satan is aware that his ruling the earth days are coming to a close, and he is stirring up a lot of trouble before it ends.
His trump card is the antiChrist, whom he thinks will assert enough control worldwide that God’s purposes will be hindered. But, it will not work! Read the end of the book of Revelation. We win!
Satan now has a legal right to be here and rule over mankind and the earth.
His goal is to kill, to steal, and to destroy, and to hinder God’s purposes on the earth.
2. Jesus went to the cross as the representative man!
Jesus is called the Second Adam, or the Last Adam:
1 Corinthians 15:45 (NKJV)
And so it is written, “The first man Adam became a living being.” The last Adam became a life-giving spirit.
Jesus is called the last Adam, because He is the first person since Adam sinned to have no personal sin, who is not subject to Satan’s control, and who was not subject to death.
Two things to know about Jesus becoming the Second Adam:
1) Jesus, the pure man, the God man, legally became our sin sacrifice so we could be sin free.
2 Corinthians 5:21 (NKJV)
For He made Him who knew no sin to be sin for us, that we might become the righteousness of God in Him.
Jesus became our sin, was judged for our sin, was raised from death when our sin debt was paid.
2) Because Jesus was a man, the second Adam, He could also not only take our sin judgment, but also return to us the authority that Adam gave away!
Revelation 1:18 – NKJV
I am He who lives, and was dead, and behold, I am alive forevermore. Amen. And I have the keys of Hades and of death.
We are not a defeated people. We are a victorious people in Christ with a very bright future!
3. Jesus’ resurrection gives you a delegated authority over Satan.
Definition – Authority
A power to require and receive submission; the right to expect obedience; superiority derived from a status that carries with it the right to command and give final decisions; delegated power over others.
Matthew 28:18-20 – NKJV
And Jesus came and spoke to them, saying, “All authority has been given to Me in heaven and on earth. (19) Go therefore and make disciples of all the nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, (20) teaching them to observe all things that I have commanded you; and lo, I am with you always, even to the end of the age.” Amen.
When Jesus said – Go therefore – He delegated His all authority to us!
The word Authority here is the word in Greek – Exousia – which is both All authority as well as Delegated authority!
You are wearing a law enforcement badge from the Kingdom of Heaven in the spirit realm. You wear the armor of God in the invisible spirit realm.
Satan must recognize your delegated, lawful authority in Christ.
But he will play a game of bluff with you. If you do nothing with the authority Jesus gave you, then Satan will run over you, and keep you defeated.
4. Build up your faith in the authority Jesus has given to you.
Notice these scriptures:
Behold, I give you the authority to trample on serpents and scorpions, and over all the power of the enemy, and nothing shall by any means hurt you.
This was before the cross. Jesus gave His disciples the authority of His personage by the use of His name. His name represents all that He is!
1 Corinthians 2:6
However, we speak wisdom among those who are mature, yet not the wisdom of this age, nor of the rulers of this age, who are coming to nothing.
Who are coming to nothing:
who are being brought to nothing and are doomed to pass away.
Who are in the process of being liquidated.
Youngs Literal Translation:
Of those becoming useless.
the dethroned powers that rule this world.
Colossians 1:13 – AMP
[The Father] has delivered and drawn us to Himself out of the control and the dominion of darkness and has transferred us into the kingdom of the Son of His love,
Colossians 2:15 – NLT
In this way, he disarmed the spiritual rulers and authorities. He shamed them publicly by his victory over them on the cross.
Colossians 2:15 – NKJV
Having disarmed principalities and powers, He made a public spectacle of them, triumphing over them in it.
Colossians 2:15 – Amplified
[God] disarmed the principalities and powers that were ranged against us and made a bold display and public example of them, in triumphing over them in Him and in it [the cross].
Colossians 2:15- Message
He stripped all the spiritual tyrants in the universe of their sham authority at the Cross and marched them naked through the streets.
Colossians 2:15- God’s Word
He stripped the rulers and authorities of their power and made a public spectacle of them as he celebrated his victory in Christ.
Colossians 2:15 – J.B. Phillips
And then, having drawn the sting of all the powers and authorities ranged against us, He exposed them, shattered, empty and defeated, in His own triumphant victory.
Ephesians 1:19-23 – NLT
I also pray that you will understand the incredible greatness of God’s power for us who believe him. This is the same mighty power (20) that raised Christ from the dead and seated him in the place of honor at God’s right hand in the heavenly realms. (21) Now he is far above any ruler or authority or power or leader or anything else—not only in this world but also in the world to come. (22) God has put all things under the authority of Christ and has made him head over all things for the benefit of the church.(23) And the church is his body; it is made full and complete by Christ, who fills all things everywhere with himself.
Ephesians 2:6 NLT
For He raised us from the dead along with Christ and seated us with Him in the heavenly realms because we are united with Christ Jesus.
5. Use your God given authority over Satan. Authority that is not exercised does you no good!
Therefore submit to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.
Resist: (Translations from various theologians).
to oppose or withstand.
set one’s self against, either in word or deed or both.
The devil can fight, but cannot conquer you if you resist.
Temptation when repelled disappear, and when habitually kept at a distance, cease to exist.
Flee: (Translations from various theologians).
Flee because of inspired fear and threatened danger.
Seek safety in flight
Liddle and Scott:
Run off as quickly as possible
Expositor’s Greek New Testament:
If you resist him, he will be vanquished and will flee from you disgraced.
Nor give place to the devil.
Don’t give the devil any opportunity to work.
Do not give the devil a way to defeat you.
And do not leave room for the devil.
And stop giving an occasion for acting [opportunity] to the devil.
6. Satan must be resisted by faith.
1 Peter 5:8-9 – NLT
Stay alert! Watch out for your great enemy, the devil. He prowls around like a roaring lion, looking for someone to devour. (9) Stand firm against him, and be strong in your faith. Remember that your Christian brothers and sisters all over the world are going through the same kind of suffering you are.
He usually works by put a thought in your mind and a feeling in your body. If you buy what he’s placing there, he will seek to entrench it into your life.
We must renew our minds and control our bodies to remain free from his influence.
1. Do you know that you have authority over Satan and demonic forces?
2. Do you exercise your authority over Satan by submitting your life to God and then resisting Satan in the name of Jesus?
3. Do you live by faith and refuse to allow feelings to control you?