Prayer is Your Place of Safety (part 13)
May 24, 2020
Prayer is Your Place of Safety (part 13)
Praying in the Spirit (part 2)
Regardless of how much money you make or how educated you are, you will be at a tremendous disadvantage in your future if you do not know how to pray effectively.
Since the first of the year, I have been teaching a series on prayer.
I took a few Sundays to address the Corona crisis since we have been unable to meet together.
You never live past your prayer life…
In this series, we are addressing the importance of prayer in 2020, and how your prayer life can become the most important part of your day.
Week 1, we saw that Jesus lived out of His prayer life, and that He spent a lot of time praying before ministry.
Weeks 2 through 4, we talked about why we must pray.
Then, we started looking at: Eight Different Kinds of Prayer
Ephesians 6:18 (NIV)
And pray in the Spirit on all occasions with all kinds of prayers and requests. With this in mind, be alert and always keep on praying for all the Lord’s people.
Different kinds of prayer have different kinds of rules. Examples from sports
1. The prayer of faith (primarily a prayer for yourself)
2. The prayer of consecration (relinquishing personal control)
3. The prayer of supplication (prayer for others)
4. The prayer of intercession (taking another’s place)
5. The prayer of agreement (when your faith needs a boost)
6. The prayer of worship (focusing on God)
7. United praying (tremendous power)
8. Praying in the spirit (beyond your own knowledge)
Today – Praying in the spirit ( part 2)
Today, I want to talk about the enhancement in your personal prayer life that will occur with the Baptism with the Holy Spirit and the ensuing ability to speak in other tongues or languages.
Ten Things about praying in the spirit that will enhance your prayer life:
1. It is God’s Will for every believer to pray in tongues.
2. It helps unseat the control the unrenewed natural mind exerts over your spiritual life.
3. It provides a way for you to pray about things you don’t know about.
4. Provides a way to charge yourself up spiritually.
1 Corinthians 14:4
He who speaks in a tongue edifies himself, but he who prophesies edifies the church.
But you, beloved, building yourselves up on your most holy faith, praying in the Holy Spirit,
We all need to be charged up spiritually so we can face all of the negatives around us.
Car battery is charged by its alternator.
5. It provides a way to be refreshed spiritually.
For with stammering lips and another tongue He will speak to this people, (12) To whom He said, “This is the rest with which You may cause the weary to rest,” And, “This is the refreshing”; Yet they would not hear.
6. It magnifies God in your life.
For they heard them speak with tongues and magnify God.
Makes Him bigger than all the opposing thoughts, feelings, and circumstances around you.
Keeps you aware of His presence inside.
7. It provides a way to offer praise and thanksgiving to God.
1 Corinthians 14:16-17
Otherwise, if you bless with the spirit, how will he who occupies the place of the uninformed say “Amen” at your giving of thanks, since he does not understand what you say? (17) For you indeed give thanks well, but the other is not edified.
Ephesians 5:18-20 (NLT)
Don’t be drunk with wine, because that will ruin your life. Instead, be filled with the Holy Spirit, (19) singing psalms and hymns and spiritual songs among yourselves, and making music to the Lord in your hearts. (20) And give thanks for everything to God the Father in the name of our Lord Jesus Christ.
8. It helps you control your tongue!
For we all stumble in many things. If anyone does not stumble in word, he is a perfect man, able also to bridle the whole body.
9. Provides a way to pray God’s perfect will.
Likewise the Spirit also helps in our weaknesses. For we do not know what we should pray for as we ought, but the Spirit Himself makes intercession for us with groanings which cannot be uttered. (27) Now He who searches the hearts knows what the mind of the Spirit is, because He makes intercession for the saints according to the will of God.
10. Provides a doorway for other gifts to manifest in your life.
When you pray in tongues, your spirit, motivated by the Holy Spirit is praying. Because praying in tongues makes you more aware of the Holy Spirit living in you, you will find a greater manifestation of other spiritual gifts after a season of praying in tongues.
God wants to use every believer in the simple gift of prophecy. (1 Cor. 14:1,5,9). Praying in tongues is the best way to stir up that gift.
1. If you are not baptized in the Holy Spirit:
2. Ask God to create in you a deep hunger for Him
3. Ask Him to baptize you with the Holy Spirit.
4. Spend some time waiting on God and praying, asking Him to give you all he has for you.
5. Come down front at the close of any of our services and ask for the laying on of hands.
6. Take some time every day to pray in the spirit. Start small and increase.